Pages

Custom Search

Friday, March 5, 2010

{ q & a : Gina Miller Photography } photographer q&a

Today, we welcome Gina Miller of Gina Miller Photography!  I came across her work one day after visiting the Design Aglow blog.  She had made these incredible gifts for her clients... awe inspiring, time consuming, thoughtful gifts.  check them out HERE.  well, after looking over these beauties for a while, i began looking at her entire site and blog... wow!  she's incredible!  She captures emotion that you typically catch every once in a while.. she manages to find and *snap* it in every session.  It's wonderful and, beautiful.. and, inspiring.  To learn more about Gina Miller {in her own words}... read on...

{ q & a }


How long have you loved taking photos?  Is it a love you've had since you were little or something that you've learned to love over time?

I have always loved taking photos. I have albums and albums and shoe boxes full of photos that I took in high school and college. But it wasn't until I had my daughter that I became obsessed with remembering every little thing, and I'm glad I did! They grow fast (she turned 7 yesterday!!)

 

What is your favorite lens?

I equally love my 85mm 1.2 and my 24mm 1.4 ... they are two very different lenses, and i love the look and feel you can get from both.

 

I love how you share personal stories on your blog.  Have you always done this?  Or, has it grown over time as you've created relationships with your clients?

I have always done this ... I think most clients that come to me feel like they know my kids! 

 

Is it hard balancing life as a full-time mom and, a photographer?

It's very hard running a business and being a parent! I feel like it's especially hard running your business from your home. My work is always staring me in my face, if I walk by the computer, it's very tempting to check email or work on "just one thing" ..... one day, I hope to have my work area out of my home.  But for now, it works, and I am very fortunate that I've been able to have a flexible schedule with my kids. I'm here most days when the kids get off the bus, and my son is here with me several days during the week still! This was a goal of mine from the moment they arrived, and I've made it work. However, I often work after they go to bed, so there are some late nights involved.  But it is all worth it in my eyes.  



Without knowing you, it appears that every child on your blog is your own!  You capture them in a way so their spirit shines through.. like you've known them for a very long time.  How are you able to "know" your little clients in such a short period of time?

I try to communicate with them as I do with my own kids. You have to feel  a little person out ... if they're shy, you can't be too aggressive.  If they're wild, you can't make them sit and get angry if they don't! I just play them out and if need be, have mom or dad interact.  Also, I have lots of repeat clients. So, many of the little ones have gotten used to seeing me, and they are excited to tell me what they've been up to, show me things, etc.

 

I must ask --- have you always had a thing for ladybugs?  I love the way you've incorporated them into your site in such a playful way!

I have not! But I like how it turned out. I decided I wanted to re-brand : new logo, new feel. I'm very fortunate that my best friend is a fantastic graphic designer, and I often think we have the same brain waves ... we got together and I gave her some ideas. I mentioned a ladybug. I had no clue how it would turn out, I remembered a photo I had taken of my daughter when she was about 2 holding a ladybug, it's always been one of my favorites and it was one of my signature photos when I first started GMP.  So after we looked at a few designs she put together, that one stood out the most. It's so cool to see how the website and blog designer took it and animated it.  I love it!

 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 5 years, I would love to have expanded my client base, and I would love to have a studio or work area outside of my home!! I am interested in possibly getting into commercial work, but it is something that i have yet to pursue.  Also, some employees would be great ... :)  

 

well, after reading those answers, i fell just a little bit more in love with Gina Miller... how about you?
thank you so much for stopping by!  while you are here.. why not click this link and become a fan of Gina on facebook!



No comments:

Post a Comment